Diocese of Kwara
Pentecost (WHIT) Sunday
Theme: The birth of the Church
Liturgical color: Red
@St. Barnabas cathedral, Sabo-Oke, ilorin, Kwara State.
His Lordship, the Bishop of Kwara, Rt. Revd Sunday T.G. Adewole.
1. The processional Hymn was taken from A&M 239- “Spirit Divine attend our prayers”.
2. The well-seasoned and inspiring Sermon was preached by His Lordship, the Bishop of the Diocese of Kwara, Rt. Revd Sunday T.G. Adewole
A. The Rt. Revd Sunday T.G. Adewole systematically prayed, after which he expressed his heart of gratitude to God Almighty for His grace that enbles us to see the last Sunday of the month of May 2020.
– He also thanked all those that are praying for Nigeria and the Church of God in general 🙏🙏🙏.
– He carefully give dynamic explanation on the traditional meaning of PENTECOST, especially in the Christian Faith and Liturgical Worship today, as it connects to “harvesting of souls” for the kingdom of God.
i. He explained the connectivity between the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, His Ascension and the coming of the Holy Spirit.
B. Theme and the topic focuses on the “Birth of the Church”, and the text centers on the events of the coming of the Holy Spirit in Acts 2:1-4.
i. According to him, the background history, Pentecost is one of the three annual festivals of the Jews. It is when the Jews gather annually at Jerusalem, fifty days after the Passover, with their first fruit sacrificial offerings, as in their New Year Calendar, called “Habib”, to joyfully celebrate the in-gathering blessings of God or as harvest thanksgiving.
ii. He carefully explained that the coming of the Holy Spirit on the Pentecost Day, was clearly strategized by God Almighty for the winning of souls, and the first sermon of Apostle Peter, through which about 3000 men willingly surrendered their lives to Jesus Christ, confirms it (Acts 2:14-47).
iii. He points that the coming of the Holy Spirit’s experience and the event, gave the birth of the solid and strong Church of Jesus Christ.
– He remarks that God planned to use the Pentecost Day, as the Jewish New Year celebration, to fulfill His own promise of the coming of the Holy Spirit, especially to harvest the souls of the sinners into the kingdom of God.
– He explained how people would gather and joyfully bring their first fruit as sacrificial offerings, with thanksgiving to God in the Jerusalem Temple during the Pentecost celebration.
– He further explained that Pentecost is for harvesting of souls’ celebration, which is why God or Jesus Christ sent His Holy Spirit to harvest all the willing to repent souls, through which the solid and strong Church was born and being commissioned to spread the true Gospel of Jesus Christ’s sacrificial death and victorious Resurrection to far and near, to all and sundry (Acts 1:8).
– He also remarks that Pentecost power is primarily for the harvesting of souls for the kingdom of God, but that some people have selfishly commercialized their claimed “Pentecostal power” with the sales of oil and handkachief.
– He further explained that the word, “Pentecost” was not used in Acts 2 or anywhere else in the Bible, as in a Denominational context, just as some people are doing today.
– He said that any Church that truly believe in the sacrificial death and victorious Resurrection of Jesus Christ and the coming of the Holy Spirit, for the continuity of the saving mission and ministry of Jesus Christ, through the presence and power of the Holy Spirit, is a true Biblical Pentecostal Church, irrespective of the denominational differences.
iv. Rt. Rev’d Sunday Timothy G. Adewole, the Bishop of the Diocese of Kwara (Church of Nigeria Anglican Communion), also charged the Christians today, both young and old, to know that the power we received from the Holy Spirit on the Pentecost, for signs and wonders, miracles, healing and deliverances, is mainly to harvest and win souls, for the kingdom of God, or for the kingdom of Jesus Christ, in preparation for the second coming of Jesus Christ (Matthew 10:1-8; 28:18-20).
– He explained the “wind” as the agent of God in relation to the natural activities of the wind (John 3: 3-14).
– He further explained the “fire” 🔥🔥 🔥 in relation to purification, and that God allows our several challenges in this world as a way of testing and purifying our Christian faith, so as to be able to solidly stand the test of time and seasons (Matthew 7:21-27; James 2:2-7).
– He points on how people these days, are seriously looking for the blessings of Abraham, but are not willing to do the sacrifices of Abraham (Genesis 12:1-8; 22:1-18); and that some people want to manifest the power of Elijah, but are not ready to pay the prices that Elijah paid during his life time.
v. The Bishop really acknowledged the importance of the coming of the Holy Spirit, especially on the Church daily activities, and on our respective Christian life and living (John 16:13-17; Romans 8:12-16).
– He passionately calls to repentance, all those that are selfishly commercializing the Christian Faith and the power of the Pentecost, with their selling of handkachief, among other things; and that God’s judgment is coming on all the unrepentant souls and those pastors, who make the worldly mess of Christianity, with their own selfishness and the quest of power and materialism (Romans 1:18-32; 2:1-24).
vi. Towards the conclusion, the Bishop re-echoed on the importance of the Holy Spirit, and the need for all the listeners, the young and old, to personally give your lives to Jesus Christ; and that without this, you have no share in the true power of the Holy Spirit (Acts 8:18-24; Romans 8:14-16).
vii. He then sincerely prayed to God Almighty, for the healing of our Nation and for the healing of all manners of sicknesses and diseases, and for good health, deliverance, restoration, open doors and prosperity for all that are under the sound of his vioc.
– And he also passionately prayed that the presence of God Almighty will go with us, as we crossover from this month of May that is coming to an end today, into the month of June, through the power of the Holy Spirit and the Blood of Jesus Christ, and he made the Episcopal Benediction as well.
viii. The celebration of the Communion Service continued thereafter!
Please, kindly connect to the Diocese of Kwara YouTube channel
Happy Pentecost Sunday and may God Almighty bless you evermore🙏🙏🙏